Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Day After The Sabbath 24: Pomp Rock

Download from [mf] or [mg]
password:  tdats



TDATS 24, "Pomp Rock", is a compilation that was inspired by the Canadian band Symphonic Slam. I was very interested in their unique mix of electronic experimentation, prog pomp and moody hard rock. I have attempted to bring together some songs that fit in with this idea. They come from all over the place but all share nice tasteful keyboards, symphonic pretensions and a certain epic quality.

I must say thanks to Zischkale for bringing Sweeney Tod to my attention, a band that featured Bryan Adams at one time. Angel's first album is great, heavy and out there without getting too cheesy, the same cannot be said for their later efforts. Arthur Brown features with the band he formed after the end of "The Crazy World Of". Aphrodite's Child was a Greek band formed in 1967, by Vangelis Papathanassiou and Demis Roussos. I always loved Vangelis's work, especially on the Blade Runner movie soundtrack. Far East Family Band feature a great Floydish trip here, and have come up on this blog before, in the earlier incarnation "Far Out".

01. Angel - Angel (Theme) (1975)
02. Hillary Blaze - Opening (1977)
03. Sweeney Todd - All Of A Sudden (1977)
04. Symphonic Slam - Everytime (1976)
05. Golem - Orion Awakes (19??)
06. Angel - Tower (1975)
07. Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come - Gypsy (1973)
08. Aphrodite's Child - Aegian Sea (1971)
09. Styx - Miss America (1977)
10. Far East Family Band - Nipponjin (1975)

Cheers

TDATS social links

 Rich

3 comments:

  1. Nice call on the Sweeney Todd! Definitely about as pomp as it gets.

    Looking forward to hearing that Styx track and the Far Out incarnation. Thanks for postin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just wanted to say thanks for your great blog. I don't download but you've had my scurrying back through my collection to dig out some great bands and tracks. And I've seen lots of new names that I'll have to start checking out. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for all the great music and the hard work it must be to track it all down. So far number ten is my favorite, my six year old daughter even likes some of the stoney jams.

    ReplyDelete